Professionalism at Work is a term coined for every working individual. Being professional at work is not only limited to reaching office on time or being cordial to your team members, rather it is a larger concept that imbibes the way you conduct yourself from 9to 5, how you execute your day-to-day tasks and deal a situation of crisis with calm and ease. It also consists of attitudes, beliefs, behaviours and the integrity and honesty you bring to the table. Being polite and treating others respectfully are two primal characteristics that define you as an impressive individual.
HOW TO GROOM YOUR PROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOUR AT WORK?
1. While you are at work, stick to some guidelines of your own, other than the duties assigned to you. Arrive on time, stay loyal to your work and honor your commitments. Make a point to execute your responsibilities on time. This will prove your worth to the company and also mark your seriousness towards work.
2. Avoid a grumpy appearance, inappropriate language, eavesdropping, gossiping, and never interrupt others. Be non-judgemental to your colleagues, and treat everyone around you equally.
3. Participate in workplace communications so that you are aware of the activities around you. Keep your communication to the team-leader, HR executive, and the manager active, clear and transparent. Discuss things in advance, in case you are not able to follow-up and always ask for suggestions.
4. As a thorough professional, try to handle situations with maturity. Display a positive outlook at work, carry an appealing body language and a smile on your face. Be polite in complex situations.
5. Always try to make new employees comfortable at work-place. Talk to them, extend cordial greetings and be friendly. This would make them feel associated and they will gel well with the co-workers.
6. Having an impressive degree and attractive resume are not the only pre-requisites that you need. Being an expert in the field that you are chosen for and having exceptional practical and literary skills related to your work is also important.
7. Understand e-mail protocol. Dropping random text messages to update clients, fellow employees and your boss, shows an informal way of handling things. If you are hired for a company, show some signs of professionalism and be formal.
8. Stay open-minded and ever-ready to take up challenges. Try new work measures that would eventually add up to one’s level of professionalism. Whether you are an entry-level employee or one with a fair amount of experience, being frank and being able to connect to the co-workers are essential to have a better understanding of workplace.
9. Be open to receive and give feedback. When you are a new employee, make sure you accept both positive and negative responses neutrally. The initial few months are crucial as the company screens your abilities and analyzes your potential. This learning phase is a bit challenging. Have patience and hold on for some more time. Things will get better. If you have subordinates to monitor, always make sure to commend employees first than making them count on their shortcomings. This way, they will be more accepting of their work.
10. Make sure the responsibilities you accomplish are directed towards the collective growth of the business/company. At the end of the day, you should make it a point that you serve the organization with the best of your abilities and also learn something productive to boost your professional development.
11. If you’re leading a team and you have employees to monitor, make it a point to do a comprehensive analysis of the same. Guide them with timely-feedbacks and suggestions so that they are aware of their responsibilities.
12. Respect the organization; anyone part of it and its hierarchy. Every organization maintains a chain of command and you should abide by the rules and regulations earnestly. Discuss your tasks with the one who is assigned. Report your duties and responsibilities after completion to the concerned head or somebody who is associated with you directly.
13. There are companies that ask their employees to wear uniforms at work. Doing this is a great team-building resource that promotes customer service, enhances brand value and builds consumer trust. And, similarly dressed individuals foster a sense of unity at work. If you have a uniform for your work, make sure you wear it every day.
14. There should be certain poise and confidence in you when you are at work. Make sure you wear that confidence to work like the way you put up your best work outfit to work. Greet people around you confidently, and spread positivity around.
15. Wake up with a dream, but with a thought that you are a novice and you need to start from 0. Put your best foot forward to start working for the day and give it all your 100%. So, that when you get back from work, you are happy and breathe satisfaction.
Professional Behaviour at work is necessary to enrich your work value and also to promote long-run of the business. A successful business or a company abides by these basic rules of conduct to achieve things for the better. Professionalism is an essential factor that should be taken care of by individuals who head to work everyday, because “it is not just the job that you do, but how you do it that matters”!!